US Senate Approves Resolution to Restrict President Trump’s Military Powers in Iran

The CSR Journal Magazine

The US Senate on Tuesday passed a resolution aimed at limiting President Donald Trump’s authority to engage in military action against Iran without congressional approval, according to CBS News. The motion to discharge the resolution from committee was approved in a narrow 50-47 vote, with four Republican senators joining Democrats in backing the measure.

The resolution, introduced by Democratic Senator Tim Kaine, directs the President to remove US armed forces from hostilities involving Iran unless Congress formally authorises military action through a declaration of war or a specific use-of-force mandate. The move marks the eighth attempt by Senate Democrats to push through such legislation amid growing concerns over potential escalation in the Middle East.

Republican senators Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Rand Paul and Bill Cassidy voted alongside most Democrats in favour of advancing the resolution.

Democrats Call For End To ‘Unconstitutional War’

Reacting to the vote, Democratic Senator Adam Schiff described the move as a step towards ending what he called an “unconstitutional war”.

“Today, Senate Democrats once again forced a vote to demand an end to this unconstitutional war. After seven failed attempts, I am thankful that my Republican colleagues have joined in bringing our War Powers Resolution to the Floor and exercising our constitutional responsibility to declare war,” Schiff said in a post on X.

Independent Senator Bernie Sanders also welcomed the development, arguing that Americans are increasingly opposed to prolonged military conflicts abroad.

“Finally, Senate Republicans are starting to listen to their constituents. The American people do not want to spend billions on endless wars. They want to address the enormous crises facing our country. We must end this unconstitutional war,” Sanders posted on X.

The Senate action comes at a sensitive moment in US-Iran relations, with diplomatic negotiations reportedly underway to avoid a broader military confrontation. Tensions had escalated following reports of a planned US strike on Iran that was later postponed.

Trump Says Gulf Leaders Requested Delay In Planned Attack

Earlier this week, President Trump revealed that a planned American military attack on Iran had been put on hold following appeals from Gulf leaders, including Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Mohammed bin Salman and Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

In a lengthy post on Truth Social, Trump said the leaders requested more time as “serious negotiations” with Tehran were taking place and expressed optimism that a diplomatic agreement could still be reached.

According to Trump, the proposed deal would ensure that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons. He said he had instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine and the US military to pause the scheduled operation while remaining prepared for immediate action if talks fail.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump wrote, adding that the US remains ready to launch a “full, large-scale assault” if an acceptable agreement is not achieved.

The Senate resolution does not immediately block military action, but it signals growing bipartisan concern in Congress over presidential war powers and the possibility of a wider conflict in the Middle East.

Long or Short, get news the way you like. No ads. No redirections. Download Newspin and Stay Alert, The CSR Journal Mobile app, for fast, crisp, clean updates!

App Store –  https://apps.apple.com/in/app/newspin/id6746449540 

Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inventifweb.newspin&pcampaignid=web_share

Latest News

Popular Videos