Girl power: Project Nanhi Kali
Project Nanhi Kali is one of India’s largest programmes which enables underprivileged girls to complete 10 years of schooling with dignity. The project has impacted over 3,50,000 girls across the country since inception.
The Nanhi Kali program was started by Anand Mahindra (Chairman of the Mahindra Group) against a backdrop of spiralling population rates, low female literacy levels, and very low female workforce participation, with an objective of educating underprivileged girls. The project is jointly managed by two reputed non-profit organisations – K.C. Mahindra Education Trust and Naandi Foundation.
– Currently supporting the education of 1,53,000 Nanhi Kalis across 5,261 Nanhi Kali Academic Support Centres through a cadre of 4,560 trained tutors
– Project locations: 11 states including Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal
– Digital tablets provided to 49,000 girls at secondary school level (3 girls share 1 tablet)
– Noteworthy outcomes of the project include reduced dropout amongst girls which is less than 10% in project areas, improved learning outcomes year on year and regular attendance
– Project Nanhi Kali made a pioneering effort with the launch of the Teenage Girls (TAG) Report 2018 in October which is the nation’s first report-card that reveals what it really means to be a teenage girl in India. (https://www.nanhikali.org/teenagegirlsurvey/index.aspx)
– Nanhi Kali has expanded its reach to challenging locations in Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Punjab where girls need support to be able to attend school with dignity.
– ‘Yellow Tablet’ utilises Artificial Intelligence (AI) to provide a dynamic learning platform developed through content aggregators.
How to contribute
– Donate online https://donor.nanhikali.org/DonateNowKCMET.aspx
– Donate via cheque / demand draft. Send the demand draft or the cheque in favour of “Nanhi Kali” along with the full name, contact number and email id of the donor along with the cheque. The cheque and donor are to be sent to: K.C Mahindra Education Trust – Project Nanhi Kali, Gateway Building, Apollo Bunder, Mumbai 400001.
For more information, visit www.nanhikali.org or email email@example.com, Tel +91 22 22895500