Goa is one of the most popular destinations not only for people from rest of India but also for tourists from across the globe. The beauty of India’s western coastal state, which is known for its cashew and coconut production, and Christmas and New Year celebrations are the major reasons why thousands of tourists flock to Goa particularly in December and January.
However, the sun, sand and beaches of Goa present a rosy picture that is far from the truth in the hinterland. The State of Goa is rich in natural resources and forest land. It has a good forest cover of 34% against the national requirement of 33% and nearly 62% tree cover, but unemployment is rampant.
CSR in Goa is helping improve employment and livelihood, especially in the sectors of healthcare and education. Despite the thriving tourism industry, the hospitality sector is largely absent from Corporate Social Responsibility in this friendly state. Let’s take a look into some of the top CSR projects in the state.
Where does Goa stand
As per data from National CSR portal, in the financial year 2020-21, the total CSR expenditure in Goa has been Rs 40.95 crores, with a total of 121 companies investing in the state under 10 different sectors. In the FY 2020-21, South Goa has enjoyed CSR benefits worth Rs 8.66 cr while North Goa witnessed CSR projects worth 7.6 cr.
Top 3 sectors
The top 3 sectors in which most of the CSR activities have been performed in the state are
• Health, eradicating hunger, poverty and malnutrition, safe drinking water, sanitation (CSR spent 21.62 cr)
• Education, differently abled, livelihood (CSR spent 14.04 cr)
• Rural Development (CSR spent 2.34 cr)
Top 3 companies
The top three companies spending for CSR in Goa in FY 2020-21 are respectively
• Goa Shipyard Limited (4.33 cr)
• Procter and Gamble Health Limited (2.75 cr)
• Procter and Gamble Hygiene and Healthcare Limited (2.5 cr).
Goa Shipyard Limited
Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) established in 1957, is a shipyard on the West Coast of India, functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Defence, Government of India. GSL is strategically located on the banks of river Zuari in Goa, a major international tourist destination well connected by its international airport and major port enroute all important shipping lines.
Beginning as a small barge building yard, GSL has garnered reputation as one of the most sophisticated ship builders in the Country. For over four decades, GSL has designed, built and commissioned a wide range of sophisticated vessels for varied applications in the Defence and commercial sectors with special expertise in building modern patrol vessels of Steel and Aluminium hull structure. Highest spender for CSR activities in Goa in the FY 2020-21, GSL has spent Rs 4.33 cr for the state.
Corporate Social Responsibility at Goa Shipyard Ltd. involves various voluntary efforts, which the Company engages itself, in order to contribute towards Social Development.
The five focus areas of our CSR and Sustainability strategy are as follows:
1. Health & Hygiene
2. Civic Amenities
4. Social Empowerment
5. Health Care / Medical Facility
Their major CSR activities in Goa in FY 2020-21 are:
1. Providing for Educational Aid Support (construction of shed for morning assembly, computers, water purifiers etc.
2. Donating five ECG machines to the Directorate of Health Services, Government of Goa.
3. Donating 1000 PPE kits to ESI Hospital, Margao, 200 PPE kits to Sub-District Hospital, Chicalim and face masks.
4. Donating advanced life support ambulance to Goa Police.
5. Skill training to of tribal women through establishment of multiproduct processing centre
6. Donating life jackets to fishermen community for providing safety to their day to day livelihood.
7. Adoption of road from st. andrew circle to airport road, chicalim, goa and activities under Swachh Bharat initiative.
8. Construction Of Community Toilets At New Vaddem, Vasco, Goa.
9. Installation of 12 sanitary pad vending machines and 08 incinerators in local schools and renovation of toilets at Government High School (Main), Vasco.
10. Waste management project in collaboration with Government Of Goa.
Procter and Gamble Health Limited
Procter & Gamble Health Limited (PGHL) was set up in India as one of Merck’s Asian subsidiaries in 1967. Till 2018, the Company was operating in all businesses included in the pharmaceuticals and chemicals businesses in the country. In December, 2018, P&G successfully completed the acquisition of Merck’s Consumer Health business. Procter & Gamble Health Limited is currently one of India’s largest VMS Companies manufacturing and marketing over-the-counter products, vitamins, minerals, and supplements products. Their manufacturing site is located in Usgaon, Goa.
PGHL aims to channel its CSR efforts towards building a healthier India through their umbrella program ‘SEHAT’. Projects under SEHAT include preventive health, community health and public health interventions; health awareness, screening and education; financial support for healthcare needs of marginalized and underprivileged communities; capability-building of healthcare professionals, healthcare infrastructure and healthcare assistance as part of disaster relief and support.
Their major CSR activities in Goa in FY 2020-21 include upgradation of village school infrastructure at Goa and supporting government vaccination drive under education and healthcare sectors respectively.
Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care Limited
Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care Limited (P&G) is home for popular brands like Whisper (sanitary pads), Pampers (baby care), detergents like Tide and Ariel, shaving brands like Old Spice and Gillette, shampoo brands like Head and Shoulders and Pantene, Oral-B (toothbrush and toothpaste), Vicks balm and lozenge (for cough and cold), skin care brand Olay and Ambi Pur (room freshner).
In the FY 2020-21, the company has spent Rs 28.81 cr towards CSR, out of which 2.50 cr has been spent for Goa, making it the third highest spender for CSR in the western coastal state. The entire sum has been dedicated for Covid-19 vaccination of the citizens of Goa.
Other companies spending towards CSR in Goa
Delta Corp Limited, Wallace Pharmaceuticals Private Limited, Watson Pharma Private Limited, EDC Limited, Commscope India Private Limited, Isheta Realty Private Limited, Chandragupta Traders Private Limited are some of the other companies spending towards CSR in Goa.