According to GOQii’s latest ‘India Fit Report’, more than 57% population across key cities such as Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai are overweight. Further, lifestyle diseases have witnessed a steady rise – Diabetes has increased to 5.1% in 2018 from 3.6% in 2017, Cholesterol has increased to 12.1% in 2018 from 5.2% in 2017 and High Blood Pressure has increased to 9.4% in 2018 from 4.9% in 2017.
In another study by Stanford in 2017, Indians were found to be among the world’s laziest citizens clocking in an average of just 4, 297 steps a day. India is ranked 39 among the 46 countries surveyed.
There is a critical need to break this pandemic of physical inactivity which is leading to a steady rise in lifestyle diseases. GOQii has launched ‘India Steps Challenge’ – a 100-day nationwide challenge with an aim to encourage Indians to walk more and make India active and healthy. The challenge will begin on 22nd February.
The GOQii India Steps Challenge is open to all 29 States and 7 Union Territories of India, which will compete to be the healthiest state in the country. Fitness coaches who are a part of GOQii Play, an interactive live video platform within the GOQii app, will motivate participants to walk daily and inculcate exercise into their daily regimen.
How does it work?
- The participant can download the GOQii app on their Android or iOS device
- The participant can sign up for the ‘India Steps Challenge’ and choose a state they wish to represent
- Participants can use any of GOQii’s Activity Trackers or their in-built phone sensor. The tracker has to be connected to the GOQii app to record their daily step count
- The average step count of all the people belonging to a particular state or region will be taken into account
- There will be a state-wise leaderboard on the app as well as on the website to keep track of every state’s performance
- At the end of 100 days, the state with the highest daily average steps will be awarded as the ‘Most Active State’
The GOQii India Steps Challenge has 100 levels and there are prizes set at every milestone. Overall, more than 40, 000 prizes totaling to INR 5 crores will be given. The individual with the highest step count will win a cash prize of INR 5 lakhs. Other prizes include backpacks, GOQii trackers and mobile phones, among others.
GOQii Play coach and India’s ex hockey captain Sardar Singh said, “Walking has proven benefits that minimize the risk of developing lifestyle diseases (such as diabetes, cardiac issues and others) which are witnessing a steady rise in India and must be tackled in the early-stage itself. I am happy to support this initiative which will surely inspire many Indians to stay fit.”
Vishal Gondal, Founder and CEO of GOQii said, “We are thrilled to announce the GOQii India Steps Challenge, an initiative to start a shift to a healthier lifestyle. At the end of this 100-day challenge, we hope active participants will see the transformation within themselves and permanently adopt a healthier and active lifestyle, a critical need of the hour.”