Rajasthan is known for its beautiful palaces, unique culture, topography and cuisine. Economically, it is an important state in the country as it houses 90 per cent of the country’s total mineral reserves and is an extremely popular tourism destination for travel lovers from across the globe. Economic opportunity and poverty go hand in hand in the state of Rajasthan making it an attractive destination for CSR. Here is a look into the top CSR projects in Rajasthan:
Where does Rajasthan stand
As per data from National CSR portal, Rajasthan holds the 8th rank in terms of the top 10 states getting CSR expenditure in India with Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka leading the way. In the financial year 2020-21, the total CSR expenditure in Rajasthan has been Rs 645.08 crores, with a total of 988 companies investing in 34 districts of the state under 14 different sectors.
Top 3 districts
The top 3 districts to get CSR benefits in Rajasthan are respectively Udaipur (amount spent towards CSR 100.76 cr), Jaipur (56.28 cr) and Alwar (36.63 cr). Barmer, Rajasmand, Jodhpur, Bharatpur, Pali, Karauli and Nagaur feature among the rest of the top 10 districts enjoying CSR benefits in the state.
Top 3 sectors
The top 3 sectors in which most of the CSR activities have been performed in the state are
• Health, eradicating hunger, poverty and malnutrition, safe drinking water, sanitation (CSR spent 247.65 cr)
• Education, differently abled, livelihood (CSR spent 242.63 cr)
• Environment, animal welfare, conservation of resources (CSR spent 78.92 cr)
Top 3 companies
The top three companies spending for CSR in Rajasthan in FY 2020-21 are respectively Hindustan Zinc Limited (97.51 cr), Bajaj Finance Limited (68.52 cr) and Honda Motorcycle And Scooter India Pvt Ltd (16.46 cr).
1. Hindustan Zinc Limited
Hindustan Zinc is a subsidiary of Vedanta Limited which owns 64.9% stake in the company while the Government of India retains a 29.5% stake. Hindustan Zinc’s operations comprise lead-zinc mines, hydrometallurgical zinc smelters, lead smelters, pyro metallurgical lead-zinc smelter as well as sulphuric acid and captive power plants in northwest India.
Talking about Rajasthan in their CSR report, the company mentions, “The core focus of our CSR interventions are 184 communities located around our operations – across 66 Gram Panchayats in 12 tehsils spread across Udaipur, Rajsamand, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara and Ajmer districts of Rajasthan.”
Highest spender in CSR projects in Rajasthan, the company has spent money in their CSR projects namely Ajmer Dargah in Ajmer, Livestock Management Projects in Chittorgarh, educational projects across the state like Child Care Centres, Company Run Schools, Jeevan Tarang, Khushi, Sakhi, Shiksha Sambal, Support For Higher Education and Unchi Udaan; also other CSR projects like Environment & Safety, Company Run Hospitals, Health, Water & Sanitation, Installation Of Ro & Atm, Micro Enterprises/ Sme and Mobile Health Vans among others.
Elaborating some of the above projects:
• Khushi Anganwadi Program – Khushi is working in 3145 Anganwadis, covering over 2400 villages in five districts of Rajasthan namely Udaipur, Rajsamand, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara and Ajmer.
• Nandghar- The Nandghars are meant for providing children with a comfortable learning environment, which includes amenities like safe drinking water, uninterrupted supply of solar power, digital learning facilities, etc. Out of 3145 Khushi Anganwadis, 314 centers have been converted into Nandghars in the last 3 years.
• Shiksha Sambal- Proving study materials to students and imparting intensive education through digital technology platforms, WhatsApp groups and home-based coaching.
• Unchi Udaan: The Unchi Udaan project creates an opportunity for meritorious students from government schools to enter Engineering institutions.
• Jeevan Tarang ‘Zinc Ke Sang’: This project aims at empowering persons with disabilities to become earning members of their families.
• Scholarship support for higher education: The company has also been supporting the deserving students for engineering studies through the Yashad-Sumedha merit cum means scholarship program.
• Healthcare: HZL has backed various healthcare facilities, including OPD, health camps, Mobile Health Vans (MHVs) and awareness sessions, across 182 villages at different locations in Rajasthan.
• Drinking water: Apart from providing safe drinking water through tankers, they have also installed 13 RO Hub plants and 39 standalone ATMs in 52 villages in Dariba (Rajsamand), Debari (Udaipur) and Chanderiya (Chittorgarh).
• HZL’s flagship project ‘Sakhi’ works for mobilising rural women into self-help groups (SHGs), and developing their capacities in the areas of leadership, skill development and entrepreneurship. Under this project, there are 2248 SHGs, 207 Village level Organisations, and 07 Federations with a membership of 27,517 women.
2. Bajaj Finance Limited
Bajaj Finance Limited (BFL), a subsidiary of Bajaj Finserv Limited, is a deposit-taking Non-Banking Financial Company registered with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). It is primarily involved in the business of lending and acceptance of deposits. Second highest spender in CSR projects in Rajasthan, the company has spent money in CSR projects namely Coep Construction in Sikar and Health care in Udaipur among others.
According to Bajaj Finance Limited’s Annual Report on their CSR activities for the financial year 2020-21, the total amount spent by the company on CSR for the FY 2020-21, is Rs 107.07 cr. Out of this, 68.52 cr has been spent in Rajasthan alone, as per data from the National CSR portal.
• In the FY 2020-21, Bajaj Finance Limited has spent money on Healthy Motherhood-Healthy Childhood and Targeting the Hardcore Poor (Rural development) in Sikar and Dungarpur districts of Rajasthan.
• The company has also spent towards Addressing issues of Child Protection and Nutrition (Healthcare and promoting gender equality) in Bharatpur, Alwar, Sikar, Baran and Ajmer districts.
• Early Childhood Care in Rural Areas (Healthcare) in Udaipur district.
• Providing Education To Autistic And Slow Learner Children, Community Based Management Of Disability- Childhood To Livelihood, Holistic Nutrition Support To Underprivileged Children Afflicted With Cancer, Mother And Child Care, Construction Of School Building, Comprehensive Tribal Model Village Development Program, Imparting Vocational Training and Rehabilitation services in different areas of Rajasthan
3. Honda Motorcycle And Scooter India Pvt Ltd
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI) is a two-wheeler manufacturing company, which is the subsidiary of Honda Motor Company Ltd., Japan.
The third highest spender in CSR projects in Rajasthan, the company has spent money in CSR projects like Computer Lab Training & Hardware (Gyantantra Digital Dost) in Alwar, Water Conservation Projects Through Self Help Groups in Alwar, Hospital Upgradation in Alwar, Maintenance Of Toilets At Community Health Centres in Alwar, Quick Response Team Support (education), Whatsapp Based Home Learning (education), Covid-19 Relief Support Activities, Health Camps and Mobile Medical Unit & Static Medical Unit.
In their CSR report for the FY 2020-21, Honda Motorcycle And Scooter India Pvt Ltd has talked about some of the projects backed by them in Rajasthan. These include
• Free medical check-up and medicines via health camps, Mobile Medical Units in Tapukara, Alwar
• Community water RO system- RO plants with Readily installable high-pressure pumps, water purification membrane and storage tanks
• Honda has invested in developing the existing local government Community Health Centres (CHC) in two locations around the Honda plants in Tapukara and Tijara in Alwar district. These include redevelopment of boundary walls, post-mortem room, parking area for ambulance, X-ray machines, medical equipment, first aid care, oxygen pipeline, cleaning staff and cleaning equipment, facilitating over 800 local residents.
• Covid-19 support initiative—Distribution of masks, sprayers, medical equipments and food packets in different parts of the state
• Water conservation projects through Self Help Groups in Alwar- construction and restoration of water structures and a dam in Kalikhol village, Skill development of an SHG by providing them training in the field of water conservation along with infrastructure development
• Contribution towards skill upgradation of the students and capability building of the teachers of an upper primary and two senior secondary schools in rural Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh benefitting 1400 underprivileged students in these two states.
• Supporting the learning of 75,000 government school students in Rajasthan through WhatsApp based home learning model.
• Honda has developed playgrounds and sports ground facilities in the villages of Burera, Ishroda and Tapukara villages in Alwar district
Other companies spending towards CSR in Rajasthan
Jsw Energy (Barmer) Limited, Chambal Fertilisers And Chemicals limited, The Supreme Industries Limited, J. K. Cement Limited, Vedanta Limited, Jcb India Limited and National Stock Exchange Of India Ltd. feature among the rest of the top 10 companies spending towards CSR in Rajasthan.
In the financial year 2020-21, the total CSR expenditure has been Rs 645.08 crores, which is pretty less as compared to the total CSR expenditure in the state in the financial year 2019-20 (737.54 cr). Sectors like rural development, gender equality, women empowerment and senior citizens welfare deserve greater attention.