The Maratha reservation stir reignited in Maharashtra as activist Manoj Jarange Patil began an indefinite hunger strike at Mumbai’s Azad Maidan on Friday, demanding immediate action on the long-pending Maratha quota issue. Jarange declared he would not end his fast until the government granted reservation for Marathas under the OBC category, a demand he reiterated with unwavering resolve.
“I will not go back until our demands are met. Even if I am shot dead, I will not retreat,” Jarange said to thousands of supporters gathered at the protest venue, many waving saffron flags and wearing Maratha pride symbols.
Jarange’s march to Mumbai started earlier this week from Jalna and culminated in a dramatic arrival at Azad Maidan, where he received a rousing welcome. Protesters from across Maharashtra joined him, leading to massive traffic disruptions across key city roads and around Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT).
Limited Permission Spurs Anger
Though the Mumbai Police permitted Jarange’s rally, they restricted the protest to one day (9 am to 6 pm) and capped participation at 5,000 people. Only five vehicles were allowed to enter the protest zone, and over 1,500 police personnel were deployed to maintain law and order.
Jarange expressed displeasure with the time-bound permission, calling it an insult to the Maratha community.
“The state government has powers to give full permission, but they offered just one day. This is fooling the Marathas. We must learn from this,” he said during his address.
Massive Traffic Disruptions Across Mumbai
As the protest gained momentum, the city witnessed significant traffic snarls, especially in South and East Mumbai, with routes around CSMT heavily congested. BEST buses and suburban train services were delayed, causing inconvenience to office-goers.
The Mumbai Traffic Police issued multiple advisories and diversions to manage the influx of protesters. Roads such as Eastern Freeway, P.D’Mello Road, Sion-Panvel Highway, and Wallchand Hirachand Marg were partially or fully closed for regular traffic. Emergency vehicles, however, were granted access.
Jarange Appeals for Peaceful Conduct
While vowing not to end his fast without results, Jarange urged his supporters to remain peaceful and cooperate with law enforcement. He emphasised the importance of upholding the dignity of the Maratha community.
“Do not pelt stones, do not block roads, and do not disrespect the police. Let us not give anyone a reason to malign our cause,” he appealed.
He also instructed participants to vacate Azad Maidan after 6 pm, in line with police guidelines, and return the next morning if needed.
Uddhav Thackeray and NCP Express Solidarity
Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray voiced strong support for the movement, criticising the state for not fulfilling promises made to the Maratha community.
“Maratha community had been ‘used and deceived’ in the past,” Thackeray said, urging the ruling Maha Yuti alliance to show genuine intent by opening a dialogue with Jarange.
Leaders from Sharad Pawar’s NCP faction, including MP Bajrang Sonawane and MLA Sandeep Kshirsagar, also visited the protest site to express solidarity.
Direct Message to CM Fadnavis
Addressing Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis directly, Jarange said, “Fadnavis saheb, this is your opportunity to win the hearts of Marathas. Even if the government shoots me or puts me in jail, I will not back out until our demands are met.”
He also reiterated his core demand of recognising all Marathas as Kunbis, an agrarian OBC group, which would legally entitle them to reservations in jobs and education.
Government’s Response and Political Repercussions
CM Fadnavis responded by saying the government is open to resolving issues that are social and economic in nature, but warned against altering quotas that could harm other communities.
Meanwhile, BJP’s ally, the Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena, kept a noticeable distance from the protest, with insiders indicating that the party had instructed its leaders not to criticise Jarange or alienate the Maratha voter base.
OBC Groups Push Back
As the Maratha movement escalates, OBC groups have announced a counter-protest, objecting to Marathas being included in their quota pool. The National OBC Federation plans to begin its own hunger strike in Nagpur from August 30, fearing dilution of OBC benefits.
What’s Next?
With the protest intensifying, political observers warn of a potential flashpoint between the state and the Maratha community. Jarange’s hunger strike has now placed immense pressure on the Maha Yuti alliance ahead of the next electoral cycle.
Key Demands:
-
10% reservation for Marathas under OBC category
-
Recognition of Marathas as Kunbis
-
Legal guarantee for quota without affecting existing OBCs